Coroico, Bolivia: Day 9

English: In our morning meeting today, we talked about many different things. Yesterday, I sprained my ankle; I had the choice on whether or not I wanted to partake in the morning discussion, and I wanted to be a part of the group.

Carol says that there are three questions that you should always be asking yourself:
  • Who’s writing the rules of the game?
  • Who is benefiting?
  • Who is suffering?

A quote that was told throughout the group this morning that I found interesting was: “What people say, what people do, and what people say they do are three totally different things.”

Like I said, I had a sprained ankle. I went to the hospital of the Yungas here in Bolivia. While I was there, you know I had to ask questions about what the medical life is like here in Bolivia. A couple of things that I LOVED about my visit:
  • The hospital cares for you first and then you pay -- unlike the U.S., you have to pay before any care is brought onto you.
  • The total care that I received, which was the a) check up, b) anti-inflammatory injection in my rear end (this is a whole other story that will not be told -- long story short, IT HURT LIKE HECK), and the pain reliever pills given to be taken at three different times each day….was a total of 60 bs…..TEN U.S. DOLLARS -- Oh, how we live in luxury.

The doctor that took care of me knew what coca was. He doesn’t offer it to the patients, however, he knows that it is used as a traditional medicine.






Four hours after I was through at the hospital, my ankle felt so much better. During the time at the hospital, I missed the tour of the Jewish coca museum.

Ron has a funny personality. He is a friend of Carol’s who happened to help us on this trip. I flipped a couple of frisbees with him and Brian (a man who helped him while he was here).

Today, we learned about cocoa and coffee (a little). We learned about Don Mario and his wife Anna that have their home. They seem so happy. They have a five year old son who is extremely intelligent for his age. He loves to help his family pick cocoa. The son knows the plants, knows how to process coffee and cocoa. He likes it here because it’s free. He feels free. This little boy is very well connected and aware. This little boy is much more mature than an American 5-year old boy. How and why is that? The society we live in. The materialistic things that we must have as Americans?






Mario doesn’t like the city (La Paz). He chose to live where there can be quietness. In the city, there is a lot of pollution, noise, etc., and he didn’t believe that it was good for him and his family. This is true. There is tourism and agriculture here. Mario has been living in the same place for 20 years. He talked with us about the agriculture of cocoa. The cocoa only has one harvest a year, and that is because Mario and his family live on the wetter side of the mountain where there is not a lot of sun.

I had a great talk with my friend Casey, who is a classmate on this trip, about my life as a Christian. I apologized to her about being a hypocritical Christian with the cursing, dancing inappropriately, listening to impure music, etc. I saw the way I was acting and knew that I wasn’t acting like a disciple in front of her. I may be the only thing close to Christ that she will ever see in her life. I apologized for myself and for her. She accepted my apology -- she said that she respects that and that she is willing to study the bible.

Casey’s dog got put down as well, which was very heartbreaking for me to see. I never want to see a friend that heartbroken. She has been having this dog with her and in her family since she was seven years old. She loves her dog so much. I laid in bed with her and prayed for her, along with everyone else who was comforting her. And I am willing to continue to pray for her.

Spanish: En nuestra reunión de hoy, hablamos sobre muchas cosas diferentes. Ayer me torcí el tobillo; Tuve la opción de si quería o no participar en la discusión de la mañana, y quería ser una parte del grupo. Carol dice que hay tres preguntas que usted debe siempre preguntarse: ¿Quién está escribiendo las reglas del juego? ¿Quién se está beneficiando? ¿Quién está sufriendo? Una cita que se dijo a través del grupo esta mañana que me pareció interesante fue: "Lo que la gente dice, lo que la gente hace, y lo que la gente dice que hacen son tres cosas totalmente diferentes". Como he dicho, tuve un esguince en el tobillo. Fui al hospital de los Yungas aquí en Bolivia. Mientras estuve allí, sabes que tenía que hacer preguntas sobre cómo es la vida médica aquí en Bolivia. Un par de cosas que me encantó mi visita: El hospital se preocupa por usted primero y luego paga - a diferencia de los Estados Unidos, usted tiene que pagar antes de que se le trate cualquier cuidado. El cuidado total que recibí, que fue el a) chequeo, b) la inyección anti-inflamatoria en mi parte trasera (esta es otra historia que no se contará - larga historia corta, TI HURT like HECK), y Las píldoras para aliviar el dolor dadas para ser tomadas en tres momentos diferentes cada día ... .estaba un total de 60 bs ... ..TEN DÓLARES EE.UU. - Oh, cómo vivimos en el lujo. El médico que cuidaba de mí sabía lo que era la coca. No lo ofrece a los pacientes, sin embargo, sabe que se utiliza como medicina tradicional. Cuatro horas después de pasar por el hospital, mi tobillo se sentía mucho mejor. Durante el tiempo en el hospital, me perdí el tour del museo judío de coca. Ron tiene una personalidad divertida. Es un amigo de Carol que nos ayudó en este viaje. Volví un par de frisbees con él y Brian (un hombre que lo ayudó mientras estaba aquí). Hoy, aprendimos sobre el cacao y el café (un poco). Nos enteramos de Don Mario y su esposa Anna que tienen su casa. Parecen tan felices. Tienen un hijo de cinco años que es extremadamente inteligente para su edad. Le encanta ayudar a su familia a escoger el cacao. El hijo conoce las plantas, sabe cómo procesar el café y el cacao. Le gusta esto porque es gratis. Se siente libre. Este niño está muy bien conectado y consciente. Este niño es mucho más maduro que un niño americano de 5 años. ¿Cómo y por qué? La sociedad en que vivimos. ¿Las cosas materialistas que debemos tener como estadounidenses. A Mario no le gusta la ciudad (La Paz). Él eligió vivir donde puede haber tranquilidad. En la ciudad, hay mucha contaminación, ruido, etc., y no creía que fuera bueno para él y su familia. Esto es verdad. Aquí hay turismo y agricultura. Mario ha estado viviendo en el mismo lugar durante 20 años. Habló con nosotros sobre la agricultura del cacao. El cacao sólo tiene una cosecha al año, y es porque Mario y su familia viven en el lado más húmedo de la montaña donde no hay mucho sol. Tuve una gran charla con mi amigo Casey, que es un compañero de clase en este viaje, acerca de mi vida como cristiano. Me disculpé ante ella por ser una hipócrita cristiana con maldiciones, bailar inapropiadamente, escuchar música impura, etc. Vi cómo actuaba y sabía que no estaba actuando como un discípulo frente a ella. Puedo ser lo único cercano a Cristo que ella verá en su vida. Me disculpé por mí y por ella. Ella aceptó mi disculpa - dijo que respeta eso y que está dispuesta a estudiar la Biblia. El perro de Casey también fue puesto, lo cual fue muy doloroso para mí. Nunca quiero ver a un amigo que se rompe el corazón. Ella ha estado teniendo este perro con ella y en su familia desde que tenía siete años. Ella ama mucho a su perro. Me acosté con ella en su cama y rogué por ella, junto con todos los demás que la reconfortaban. Y estoy dispuesto a seguir orando por ella.


Comments

Popular Posts